Wednesday, March 12, 2014

JETS VS. CANUCKS



This game was EPIC! If any of you guys out there know Canadians, you would understand why this post is very patriotic.  Hockey is a beloved sport in our country, and this evening I was able to a score some tickets (along side three close friends) for a coveted game between The Winnipeg Jets (my home team) and Vancouver Canucks at the MTS Centre.

This would mark my very first NHL hockey game since the Winnipeg Jets came back to Winnipeg, and let me tell you, they certainly did not disappoint.  During the first period I got the impression that many of the fans were tense (judging the awkward silence) it was evident that many were banking on a win.  I cannot blame them as this game really meant a lot for the team.  Currently, the Jets are vying for the last coveted spot on the NHL 2014 Western Conference Playoff roster.

There were so many highlights, too many to list off.  Here are but a few things that stood out:

  • The MTS really delivered when it came to venue.  The whole stadium was decked out in all Jets not only did the fans come out in full Jets gear but the donuts at Tim Horton's, Canada's prized coffee and donut shop did as well.  
  • My best friend R.A. and I had heard all about this so called, "Jumbo Jets Dog" and really wanted to try what it was about.  Well let me tell you, It certainly lived up to all the hype, definitely worth the 15 minute line up.  
  • What makes it so special you ask?  To be honest I am not a big hot dog fan to begin with but this hot dog was nothing I have ever seen let alone tasted before.  It was triple the size of a normal hot dog and came with INTERESTING condiment choices.  Along with your normal ketchup, onion, relish, mustard, etc. you also had the choice of PEROGIES, CHILI, AND/OR NACHO CHEESE.  So I ask you what is not to love about this... SERIOUSLY they got me at PEROGIES!  Definitely a highlight of the night.
  • The various chants that went one all the way through the game were hilarious.  The game was a very "dirty" game, a lot of slashing and fighting among players.  This caused several controversial calls by the referees which did not sit well with the Jets Fans, including myself. Chants like "YOU SUCK REF" and "YOU STILL SUCK [REF]" could be heard through the MTS at several segments of the game, definitely a "you gotta be there" kinda moment.  

Both the Jets and the Canucks fought a valiant fight on the ice.  Though, the Canucks had a slight edge with goal attempts the Jets were able to tie up the game and go into OT which then lead to a Shoot out. NAIL BITER.  Unfortunately, we did loose in the shoot out but it was a great effort by the Jets.

ALL-IN-ALL:

  • I gauge the enjoyment of sporting events on one thing; DID I loose my voice?
  • The answer: HECK YES! 

It was such an awesome experience.  If you have the opportunity to attend an NHL hockey game, especially at the MTS Centre in Winnipeg then I highly recommend it!! GO JETS GO!


PHOTOS: 
TOP L: Jets Donuts at Tim Hortons TOP R: The Jumbo Jets dog (hardly fits in the frame, and yes those are PEROGIES) MIDDLE L: Going into OT MIDDLE R: Among friends (RA, Tracy, Me, Justin) BOTTOM: Full house at the MTS STADIUM

-M

No comments:

Post a Comment