Saturday, June 14, 2014

HERBAL COFFEE


When I moved to Chicago for school I quickly learned that I needed to figure out how to never ever get sick. I moved to a new country and there was no one to take care of me! I needed to learn how to take care of myself. I was told numerous times during my orientation that,  "the amount of information thrown at you is like trying to drink out of a fire hydrant" and it's so true. I knew if I got sick I would fall so far behind in school so I promised myself I would eat healthy and that's when my new journey of healthy eating began. I have become a little neurotic about reading ingredients on every food product and try to educate myself (and Mark...but he never listens to me) about what I put into my body. Like any student, I consume more caffeine than I should and recently discovered a natural organic coffee replacement :)

Teeccino is a company that makes herbal coffee and teas and I recently purchased Vanilla Nut, Maya Chocolate and Almond Amaretto (I'm saving this one for Mark). 


Maya Chocolate 

Ingredients: Roasted organic carob, organic barley, organic chicory, organic ramon seeds, natural chocolate flavour, organic cocoa, chile flakes.
Impression: the aroma smelt so similar to coffee. It had a more bitter dark chocolate taste than I was expecting so I added milk and sugar. I was expecting a more chocolaty taste and was a little disappointed with this flavour - it was okay.

Vanilla Nut

Ingredients: Roasted organic carob, organic barley, organic chicory, dates, almonds, organic dates, natural vanilla extract, natural nut flavor, figs.
Impression: I could definitely smell and taste the dates in this, but I quite enjoyed the flavour more than the Maya Chocolate. I drank this the first time black and the second time as an iced beverage which was delicious.  The acquired taste of this flavour may take some getting use to.

Overall, I think this is a great product if your looking for a flavourful beverage to enjoy that does NOT contain caffeine. If you are trying to cut down on your caffeine intake it is suggested that you mix your favourite coffee with Teeccino and gradually wean yourself off of coffee. Unlike coffee, Teeccino won't lead to insomnia, irritability, muscle tremors or heart palpitations, rather Teeccino can help nourish your body. It has no caffeine, it is non-acidic so it won't erode your stomach lining, it has antioxidants, provides a natural energy boost and more. 


I'm still getting use to the taste of Teeccino and won't go throwing out my coffee and black teas just yet, but I enjoy having a variety of beverage options for those late study nights.


-A

No comments:

Post a Comment