Saturday, May 10, 2014

WATER SNOB

Confession, I am a huge water snob. I don't like drinking tap water because I think it taste funny, but I don't have a water filtering system in my apartment and I think buying bottled is a waste of money because the plastic bottles are wasteful and water should be a free commodity, right? I usually boil my water and drink it with slices of lemon but lately I've noticed the water started to taste funny and I could see white specs floating around in my cup. When I looked at the bottom of my kettle it was covered with limescale (limescale is a white deposit commonly found on the inside of pipes, pots and kettles, caused by the leeching of minerals from water) and you won't believe how easy it is to clean!

Supplies
  • 1/4c white vinegar
Method
  • Pour vinegar into the kettle and fill it with water to the "max" line on the kettle and boil it
  • After boiling is complete, empty the contents and fill the kettle with water and boil once more to get rid of an excess vinegar residue

Try this trick, it's quick and easy and your water will taste much better afterwards. You might have to repeat this every 3-4 months depending on how hard your water is. To avoid limescale from building up don't leave water sitting in your kettle. You can pour any excess water you didn't use into a glass jug or mason jar to drink later or water your plants with.

-A

No comments:

Post a Comment