Wednesday, May 21, 2014

FRAMED INSPIRATION WALL

Hi,

So lately I have been feeling uninspired.  The weather sucks in Winnipeg (as I am writing this blog post it is snowing out, yes I ask myself this all the time... WHY DO I LIVE HERE and YES IT'S MAY!) and since my bedroom is situated in the basement there is hardly any natural light that comes in.  For the longest time my desk was facing a blank wall.  Very uninspiring.

*Cue - Unintentional shopping spree to IKEA*

I have always wanted a framed walled similar to this picture below

PHOTOhttp://nijihomedesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Ideas-Wall-Decor-Design-with-Art-Picture-Framed.jpg

Believe it or not IKEA has a very small "AS-IS" section with many items blown out for ridiculous prices.  I saw several 5 X 7 black frames on sale for $1 and knew I could use them to make an inspiration wall. 

SUPPLIES:
  • 2 pkgs - 3M Frame Picture Tape (Here is a coupon)
  • 9 - 5 X 7 Frames of your choice I used these by IKEA 
  • Level App
  • 9 of your favourite photos 5 X 7 
  • Laser Jet printer

INSTRUCTIONS:
I highly suggest planning the frame configuration before you start sticking things onto the wall.  You can stagger your picture frames to your liking but I kept mine very simple and did a 3 X 3 square.  I also wanted to create drama by printing 7/9 photos in black and white (using Photoshop) and 2/9 of the photos in colour.  Using a laser jet printer is an inexpensive way to print high quality images. Below is the configuration I came up with.


  1. Place photos into picture frames
  2. Place 3M tape on the back of the photo (preferably on the top, centered.  Follow the instructions on the packaging)
  3. Using the mobile level app make sure the image is level to the wall
  4. Repeat until the desired configuration is achieved)



This is such a quick and inexpensive way to turn a wall into a personalized art installation.  I am so happy with how it turned out!  I would love to hear your thoughts on this little project in the comment section below.

-M

No comments:

Post a Comment