Tuesday, April 1, 2014

TURNTABLE

Hi!

So I have exciting news to share with you guys.  I GOT A VINTAGE TURNTABLE!  I told Ashley's parents a couple weeks ago that I was looking for one and low and behold Ashley's dad lent us his to use!  Really a dream come true.

At a young age I have always been fascinated with turntables.  I can remember going on outings to music stores with my dad and rummaging in bins of vinyls finding just the right album my dad wanted - it was something that we did together.  Unfortunately, our turntable broke and the repair bill was too expensive so ended up getting rid of it.  I told myself that one day when I was able to get one that I would enjoy vinyls once again... that day has finally come!  In such a modern world with iPods and MP3 players I find the turntable so classic.  There is just something about placing the needle, watching the vinyl spin and enjoy such a unique grainy sound.

Here are the specifics of the turn table:
  • DUAL 505 semi automatic belt driven turntable dating from the 1970s
  • Made in Germany
  • Original Ortofon cartridge
I definitely wanted to do this turntable justice and make sure it was top notch before I started using it.  Unlike today's CD player where everything is built in turntables need a separate receiver and speakers, both of which I did not have.  Luckily I was able to reach out to a local store called, Royal Trading that specializes in vintage turntables.  Len and his team were able to look at the turntable immediately and suggested a receiver and speaker system that fit within my limited budget.  If you're in the Winnipeg area and are looking for a vintage turntable system I would HIGHLY recommend Royal Trading as they have an exhaustive selection of turntable system with varying pricing.

Having such a limited budget Len was so kind to sell me;
  • Vintage overhauled SANSUI G SERIES receiver
  • 2 x overhauled LEAK Speakers
As I am writing this post and enjoying the BEE GEES LP nothing can take this smirk off my face. I am ecstatic to have it playing in my room and cannot wait for Ashley to come home and enjoy it too.

If you guys have any LPs that you listen to that you think would be an awesome addition to my collection please comment in the comment section below!



Photos:
Top R - Turntable setup,  housed within a LACK side table from IKEA, Top L - Sansui G series receiver (yes fully functional and the lights work!), Middle R - Aerial view of the LEAK speakers (awesome contrasting birch and silver details), Middle L - Value village LP haul (and yes... I was able to score DJ Jazzy Jeff and Fresh Prince LP) Bottom - Detail shot of the DUAL 505 Turntable at work

-M

No comments:

Post a Comment