Thursday, April 3, 2014

NATURAL SKIN CARE PRODUCTS

Have you ever wondered what happens to the cream you apply on your body? It doesn't magically disappear, so where does it go? It gets absorbed into your body. Let's think about this for a minute, most of us have heard of nicotine patches, right. You apply a patch to your skin and the medication is absorbed into the body then into the bloodstream and distributed to other parts of your body. A similar things happens with products that you apply to your skin. Your skin absorbs approximately 60% of what it is exposed to (ie. air/pollution, location, water etc.) so why do we nourish our skin with things such as: Sodium Polyacrylate, Carbomer, Sodium Hydroxide, Dimethiconol, Fragrance, Phenoxyethanol, Blue 1? I bet you don't even know what these are or why they are in your body lotion. These are just a few examples of ingredients use in a lotion commonly bought in stores. If I don't know what an ingredient is or the effects it will have on my body I try to avoid it.  Instead I try nourish and cleanse my skin with natural products.  



Face
I started using Juice Beauty 3 months ago and have noticed a drastic difference in my skin. I break out a lot less, my skin is less oily and my acne scars are slowly disappearing. Their products consist of natural organic fruit, vegetables, leaf extracts and oils and leave out the harsh chemicals. I am currently using their Blemish Clearing line and the Stem Cellular Eye Treatment which has actually reduced the wrinkles under my eyes. The product is really expensive but I highly recommend the Blemish Clearing Cleanser and the Green Apple Blemish Clearing Peel. I gave my mom a sample of the face peel and we both noticed her skin was smoother and clearer after one application. 

Body Cleansers 

1. Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps 18-1 Hemp Almond Pure Castile Soap 
This stuff really cleans your skin while nourishing it at the same time. It's the only product that I have found that truly removes deodorant from my underarms leaving them fresh and clean :P You can also use this product as shampoo but the water in Chicago is hard and leaves a film coating on my hair, but this doesn't happen in Winnipeg since the water is softer. 

2.  Arbonne "Awaken" Sea Salt Scrub (if anyone is in Winnipeg I can give you the name of my friend who sells this product - it makes your skin so soft)



Body Moisturizers 

1. Macadamia Oil
After I jump out of the shower I apply cold pressed macadamia oil. I like using this oil because it absorbs quickly into the skin without feeling greasy and my skin still feels moisturized the next day. Macadamia oil is suppose to have anti-aging properties by promoting the production of  of palmitoleic acid naturally found in the skin. It also has anti-inflammatory properties and can help sooth irritated or sunburnt skin. 

2. Coconut oil

I don't use this often on my skin because it's very greasy and takes a long time to be absorbed. I only use this before bed when my feet are really dry and cover them with cotton socks to help keep the moisture in.

3. Dr. Bronner's Magic All-One Lip Balm

This is my favourite organic lip balm! My favourite flavours are "lemon lime" and "orange ginger." I have really chapped lips and this is the only product that has worked for me. In the past, I have tried Blister, Carmex, Burt's Bees, Coconut Oil, Vaseline and nothing has worked as well as Dr. Bronner's lip balm.




I encourage all of you to read the ingredients of your favourite products and find a more natural option, that in my opinion is more beneficial to your body. A lot of store bought products have added chemicals that aren't necessarily nourishing your body.


-A

No comments:

Post a Comment