Sunday, October 19, 2014

MAKING CASH WHILE IN SCHOOL

When I started school in the States I was fortunate enough to land a job working at the school library. I don't get paid much, but anything helps when you're living away from home having to pay for rent, utilities, cell phone bill, car insurance, gas, groceries etc. etc. As months went by I realized there were plenty of ways to make extra cash while in school.

On Campus Opportunities

  1. School Library - The perks at working at your school library is that you learn a lot about the resources your school has to offer, and you get first dibs on all the textbooks. I was fortunate to have access to free printing and to be able to study on the job!
  2. Become a tutor or TA. Tutoring is beneficial in so many ways, it refines your skill to be able to take a complex subject and break it down so it is easier for someone else to understand. This is a win-win situation because you get paid to study and learn the material. Most tutors or TA's get paid between $15-20/per.
  3. Become a student blogger. My class was sent an e-mail with an opportunity to enrol in a free online training session to become a student blogger for physicians. I applied for this position almost a year ago and I have been blessed to have a clinic employ me to blog for their practice. Most reimbursements are $25/blog but this can be negotiated.
  4. School organizations. When I was in undergrad I had an amazing opportunity to work for a school organization called Let's Talk Science. As one of the three coordinators I received a stipend for the school year. Through this organization I had the opportunity to travel, develop a personal relationship with the Dean of Science and Faculty of Science members, meet and work with various students. I not only met Mark through this organization but met many of my close friends 
There are numerous ways to make money on campus while juggling school, you just have to look for opportunities or ask other students.


Off-Campus Opportunities 

  1. Work at a doctor's office - many of my classmates work for an office every second Saturday of the month. Not only do they make some pocket money, but they gained valuable experience that can only be learned outside of a classroom
  2. Jobs that pay commission - Jobs that pay commission are generally more demanding, but you can earn cash a lot faster this way because you get your base wage + a % of the sales you made. I waitressed during undergrad and Mark worked at a high end furniture store and both had helped us pay our bills

I recently discovered an app called Checkout 51 which is an app where you buy groceries and earn money. Every week they send out "offers" which are similar to coupons. You can purchase items that are offered by Checkout 51 at any store in Canada or the US. After you upload your receipt the company will reimburse you for the "coupons/offers" you used. They send you a cheque in increments of $20! 

-A

No comments:

Post a Comment